My Favorite Gingerbread Cookie Recipe
Eileen’s Spicy Gingerbread Men
Recipe By:Stephanie Schneidewind
“Spicy gingerbread men. This is the only recipe we have ever used. For best flavor, do NOT use blackstrap molasses.”
1/2 cup margarine
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1 egg yolk
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and sugar until smooth.
- Stir in molasses and egg yolk.
- Combine the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and nutmeg; blend into the molasses mixture until smooth. Cover, and chill for at least one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters.
- Place cookies 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, until firm.
- Remove from cookie sheets to cool on wire racks.
- Frost or decorate when cool.