* 1/2 cup shortening
* 1 cup sugar
* 1 cup molasses
* 4 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 teaspoons baking soda
* 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
* 1 teaspoon ground cloves
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup milk
* 1 cup raisins (you can also omit the raisins or add nuts)
- In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Fold in raisins.
- Spread into greased & floured baking sheet. Kinda annoying but worth it.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 10-12 minutes or until set. It may take longer as this is an adjusted recipe for my preferences, just use a tooth pick to test. I usually trim off the uneven edges before cutting my bars.